ChilliBOM Volcanic Salt
This fiery chilli salt is perfect as a garnish for any of your favourite dishes – but is absolutely fabulous on fresh oysters with a dash of lime, eggs any way you like them and it was perfect to line the rims of our cocktail glasses when we recently whipped up the refreshing cocktail Spicy Michelada.
- Mix up as much of the Volcanic Salt as you want using the ratio:
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon of Hot Sauce*
- Preheat oven to 100ºC. Place salt in a bowl, add hot sauce and mix thoroughly with a spoon.
- Line baking tray with baking paper. Place mixture onto baking paper and spread thinly across the tray.
- Place tray into oven and bake for 5 minutes; the mixture should be relatively dried out and about the same colour as the hot sauce you used. But if it starts to look a bit brown then you've probably stuffed it up as it may be starting to burn so make sure you keep an eye on it!
- Switch off the oven. Take the tray out of the oven, mix the salt together on the baking paper and then spread out thinly again. Place the tray back in the oven with the door half open and leave for at least another 10 minutes. This will allow the salt to dry out completely but stop it from cooking any further.
Store in an airtight container.
* We used Melbourne Hot Sauce Habanero Roja that featured in our Summer 2016 box. This gave the salt a bright vibrant red colour you can see pictured here, as well as a deep lingering heat. But you can experiment with different sauces for different flavours e.g. using Chipotle sauces for a smokier salty flavour.